Wednesday, February 09, 2011

A Kind Word

The other day as I was leaving the hospital, a lady commented on my “cheerful attitude.” We talked for a moment, and then I wished her a good day. Her final comment to me was, “thank you for cheering me up.” I must confess, that made my day, too!

Too often we focus more on ourselves than on the people the Lord sent us to minister to. (I’m not always “cheerful chipper” either). In our selfishness, though, we miss countless opportunities to touch the lives of others in a positive way.

If we could just stop focusing on our own needs and desires so much we might see that people are struggling—emotionally, physically, spiritually. They are everywhere! They are the ones behind the counter/cash register in the department store, in the gas station and grocery store, in waiting rooms and gift shops. Almost everywhere you go you’ll see them. Sometimes it is very obvious, and sometimes it is not so obvious. These people may not always come right out and say, “I’m struggling,” but if you listen, the tenor of their conversation will give it away.

Let me encourage you today to pay attention to others as you go to work, school, shopping, etc. Keep a cheerful attitude and speak a kind word. You never know what impact you might have in doing so.

No comments: